Bournville Quaker Meeting House
George and Richard Cadbury put their faith into action as they built their new chocolate factory and the pioneering village beyond the boundaries of the city centre.
The Quaker Meeting House was built in 1905 and was designed by William Alexander Harvey, an influential architect on the Bournville estate. It is unusually ornate for a Quaker Meeting House, showing Arts and Crafts influences, but as it was to be used by the new villagers as a place of worship and a community building for all, it was designed to look familiar to churchgoers. The Y-shaped building is based on Edgar Wood’s First Church of Christ Scientist in Manchester.
A bust of George Cadbury by Frank Wood was installed in 1924 and can be seen from the exterior that overlooks Bournville and the Village Green. Interred beneath are the ashes of George and his second wife Dame Elizabeth.
There will be an exhibition of old photos of the Meeting House, a display board of Quaker testimonies and leaflets which might be of interest.
Parking. Limited car parking for organisers and blue badge holders only. Additional on-road parking and shoppers’ car park in Sycamore Road, all signposted.
This event is part of Bournville Heritage Open Day. Many other historic sites in the wider Bournville area open their doors on Saturday 9th September. For a full list of events in Bournville, click here.
Organised by Bournville Village Trust
Date & Time
Sat 9 Sept | 10am–4pm
Bournville Friends Meeting House, 65 Linden Road, B30 1JT
Booking not required
The Friends Meeting House if fully accessible and has an accessible toilet.