City of Birmingham Brass Band – free concert in Cannon Hill Park Bandstand
City of Birmingham Brass Band was founded in 1927 and is a traditional brass band. The Band started life as the Fisher & Ludlow Works Band, having been set up during the Second World War by and for the car body manufacturing company’s workers.
During the war, the factory’s manufacturing activities were diverted to making aeroplane wings, shell cases and bombs, notably for Lancaster’s. Towards the end of the war, the factory in central Birmingham was bombed and destroyed. Fisher & Ludlow moved into the Spitfire factory in Castle Bromwich and became the first post-war owners of the factory. The band moved with them and continued to thrive.
Following the merger of Fisher & Ludlow with the Pressed Steel Company in 1966, the band changed its name to become the Pressed Steel Fisher Band.
In 1976 the band’s major contribution to civic life was recognised by the city council; and they have been known as The City of Birmingham Brass Band ever since.
The City of Birmingham Brass Band will perform in the grade II Cannon Hill Park bandstand and dates from the late 19th century. The band stand was specifically built for brass band performances which in the early days of the park were scheduled almost weekly.
The bandstand is a 5-minute walk from the MAC, and very near the Russell Road car park.
There is plenty of parking near the MAC and some on Russell Road car park (this is small car park).
Organised by City of Birmingham Brass Band
Date & Time
Sat 16 Sept | 2pm–4pm
LocationBandstand in Cannon Hill Park. A 5 minute walk from the MAC and a 2 minute walk from the Russell Road entrance
Booking not required
The park is a public open space and paths are accessible. The area around the bandstand is paved and flat.
Accessible toilet in MAC.