Bournville Quaker Meeting House
Visit an unusually elaborate Quaker Meeting House and the only one housing an organ.
George and Richard Cadbury put their faith into action as they built their new chocolate factory and pioneering village beyond the boundaries of the city centre. The Quaker Meeting House was built in 1905 and was designed by William Alexander Harvey, an influential architect on the Bournville estate. It is unusually ornate for a Quaker Meeting House, showing Arts and Crafts influences, but as it was to be used by the new villagers as a place of worship and a community building for all, it was designed to look familiar to churchgoers. The Y-shaped building is based on Edgar Wood’s First Church of Christ Scientist in Manchester.
A bust of George Cadbury by Frank Wood was installed in 1924 and can be seen from the exterior that overlooks Bournville and the Village Green. Interred beneath are the ashes of George and his second wife Dame Elizabeth.
There will be an exhibition of old photos of the Meeting House and a display board of Quaker testimonies.
This is event is part of Bournville Heritage Open Day on Saturday 14th September with a chance to visit a wide array of fantastic historic sites in Bournville, the garden village created by George Cadbury – for more details visit www.bvt.org.uk.
Date & Time
Saturday 14 Sept 2019 | 10am – 4pm
65 Linden Road, Bournville, B30 1JT
Booking not required
Limited car parking for organisers and blue badge holders. Additional on-road parking and shoppers’ car park in Sycamore Road, all signposted.