Bournville Quaker Meeting House
The Quaker Meeting House was built in 1905 and was designed by William Alexander Harvey, an influential architect on the Bournville estate. It is unusually ornate for a Quaker Meeting House, showing Arts and Crafts influences, but as it was to be used by the new villagers as a place of worship and a community building for all, it was designed to look familiar to church-goers. The Y-shaped building is based on Edgar Wood’s First Church of Christ Scientist in Manchester.
A bust of George Cadbury by Frank Wood was installed in 1924 and can be seen from the exterior that overlooks Bournville and the Village Green. Interred beneath are the ashes of George and his second wife Dame Elizabeth.
Especially for our Heritage Open Day there will be an exhibition of old photos of the Meeting House and a display board of Quaker testimonies.
Date & Time
Sat 11 Sept | 10–4pm
Bournville Friends Meeting House, 65 Linden Road, B30 1JT
Booking not required
Limited car parking for organisers and blue badge holders. Additional on-road parking and shoppers’ car park in Sycamore Road, all signposted. Toilets available on site.